Who We Are
Nicolaides Fink Thorpe Michaelides Sullivan knows our greatest asset is our people. Founded in 2014, our Firm is built on integrity and respect, with an entrepreneurial spirit and a high level of collegiality. We strongly believe in the power of collaboration. Teamwork, fueled by creative solutions – that is what makes us the preeminent insurance coverage law firm in the country. Our clients know we understand their business. In direct response to our clients’ needs, our Firm has grown with offices in Chicago, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco and White Plains, New York. Our clients include some of the most prestigious insurers in the world. They count on us to assist them with evaluating and resolving their most complex risks in high-profile disputes in the U.S and abroad.
Our Expanding Footprint
As we open new offices and increase our numbers, we remain committed to recruiting and retaining talented, educated and experienced attorneys, including partners and other senior counsel with years of experience in this specialized field. We understand veteran attorneys considering a lateral move are looking for an environment that supports career development and exceptional client service. Regardless of geographic location, we are interested in working with the finest insurance lawyers and are dedicated to providing them with the support and resources required to excel in their professional endeavors. Our Firm has a progressively dynamic and open culture. We believe that a diverse workforce and inclusive environment is essential to providing the best legal services. The more diverse we are, the better we are as a law firm. We are proud that women constitute more than 50 percent of our attorneys, including senior and managing partners.
“Since inception, the Nicolaides partnership has wholeheartedly embraced my goals and indulged my professional curiosity. I have had the opportunity to argue appellate cases; litigate and mediate high-value, complex coverage matters; and work directly with clients to enhance my own development. Joining Nicolaides was the best decision I could have made for my legal career.” – Jodi S. Green
We value attorneys from varied backgrounds who strive to succeed. We offer attorneys outstanding opportunities with challenging work at every stage of their careers and allow them to accept as much responsibility and client interaction as they are ready to assume. Working at Nicolaides, attorneys are actively involved in sophisticated, complex cases and gain experience quickly. Associates work side by side with partners on high-profile matters and have close client contact. We expect our associates to be visible within the Firm and want them to have the freedom to shape their own careers. It is our hope and expectation that all of our lawyers will thrive and prosper, enjoying long-term career success at this Firm.
With leading insurance attorneys in the country at our Firm, we maintain an active presence in many key professional organizations, including the Defense Research Institute (DRI), the American College of Coverage and Extra-contractual Coverage (ACCEC), the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel (FDCC) and Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS). We also know that training and effective mentoring have a direct impact on our associates’ experience and ability to develop and succeed as lawyers. Our Firm’s goal – and commitment – is to attract and develop the nation’s best insurance lawyers.
“The Firm’s commitment to exceptional work product and exceeding client expectations was evident from my first day. The collaborative culture provides associates an opportunity to learn from incredibly intelligent and hard-working attorneys who are not only committed to the success of the Firm, but take the time to train, teach, and encourage associates to improve and excel. Working here continues to be a delightfully challenging and rewarding experience.” – Emily R. Steinberg
We also believe that the best professionals lead well-rounded lives and support one another in fulfilling that part of our lives. While our clients’ needs come first, we also value our time outside of the office, whether it is spent with our families, supporting our communities or pursuing other challenges and interests.
Join Our Team
We are looking for sharp, ambitious people who are passionate about their careers and who share our values. For general inquiries about career opportunities at Nicolaides, please contact us at email@example.com. Or, if interested in joining our team, view our open positions posted below.
Associate Attorney - California Offices
The California offices of Nicolaides Fink Thorpe Michaelides Sullivan LLP seek associate attorneys with at least 2 years of experience and will consider more experience. Commercial litigation and insurance coverage experience preferable. This is a growing firm with 60+ lawyers who handle a wide variety of complex litigation and advice matters for insurers under liability and specialty insurance policies. We want individuals with demonstrated academic success and strong analytical and writing skills.
The Firm offers competitive salary and benefits and substantial opportunities for professional development. California bar admission is required. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2-5 Year Associate – Chicago Office
The Chicago office of Nicolaides Fink Thorpe Michaelides Sullivan LLP seeks a 2nd to 5th year attorney with strong analytical and writing skills to join our growing firm. Civil litigation experience is required, and insurance coverage experience is strongly preferred. Our nationwide practice involves litigation and counseling under a full range of commercial insurance policies, including primary and excess CGL, OCIP and CCIP, commercial auto, environmental and pollution products, professional liability, financial lines, and foreign liability policies.
This is an exceptional opportunity for candidates seeking opportunities for advancement in a fast-paced, growing law firm environment. The Firm offers competitive salary and benefits, and substantial opportunities for professional development. Illinois bar admission is required.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, unofficial transcript, and a writing sample in confidence to email@example.com.
Billing Clerk - Chicago Office
Nicolaides Fink Thorpe Michaelides Sullivan LLP seeks a Billing Clerk in its Chicago office. This position will be responsible for assisting the Billing Administrators in the preparation and processing of client billing on a monthly basis and special projects as required.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Reviews and edits BIMs (billing information memos) in response to attorney edits.
- Responsible for collecting all BIMs (billing information memos) each month.
- Perform client matter maintenance.
- Create expense documentation for billing support including verifying that the back-up is accurate and complete, confidential information is properly redacted, etc.
- Preparation of mailed and emailed invoices on a monthly or quarterly basis.
- Works with accounting to monitor client e-billing outstanding invoices for collection purposes.
- Client matter budget maintenance including setting up budgets in Time and Billing system, following up on outstanding on expired budgets, etc.
- Follow up with attorneys on client billing appeals.
- Review e-Billing websites after invoice submittal to provide Billing Administrators the necessary action that needs to be taken (errors, missing budgets, appeals, missing matters, rates).
- Ability to handle high volume of bills per month.
- Ability to effectively interact and communicate with attorneys, legal assistants, and clients.
- Review and verify accuracy of billing and supporting documentation as required.
- Research and respond to inquiries regarding billing issues and problems.
- Ensures strict confidentiality at all times.
- Assists with special projects, reporting and analysis, as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing with internal and external clients.
- Strong attention to detail and proofreading necessary.
- Ability to work well in team environment.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments often under extreme time pressures and prioritize.
- Ability to perform at high levels in a fast paced ever-changing working environment and successfully adapt to changing priorities and working demands.
- Must have excellent work habits, including willingness to work the hours necessary to get the job done, especially when important deadlines cause greater than normal departmental pressures.
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent, associates degree desirable.
- Previous work experience in finance or accounting desirable.
To apply, please send a short cover letter describing your interest and qualification along with your current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nicolaides Fink Thorpe Michaelides Sullivan LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V. We support and encourage workforce diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, national origin, sexual orientation, or disability in any of our recruitment, hiring, or placement processes. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records and criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring, and California law.